Verdict day

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

I was scheduled for MRI 3 months after my treatment. The MRI supposed to check on my NPC and pituitary adenoma. I do not know if the radiologist or doctor forgot to include 2 in 1 scan, MRI repeated a week later because the first MRI only focused on my NPC. The injections for the 2nd MRI was very painful.

I was to see Dr Alice Yong. Mama came with me. We were there an hour earlier. Dr Alice Yong didn't see me instead it was an Indian doctor. She looked my first MRI and said, your pituitary gland enlarged is at optic chiasm. My heart dropped. This was my greatest fear and I had made up my mind not to crack open my skull. I updated Mama. Mama's tears started to roll down her face. Doctor asked me to wait for the 2nd MRI to come and she would explain my condition in details. Finally, the 2nd MRI came. We were asked to see the doctor again. I couldn't thank God more, she confirmed that the enlargement is not pressing on the optic nerve. I do not need surgery. I would just need a detailed eye and hormones checks. I need to take extra care with my eyes. Once I have vision problem, I would need to consult doctor immediately.

Phew! It was such as relief. So what was the verdict? MRI on NPC shows there is still residual tumour at nose and left lymph node. Doctor said this is usually the case, with proper care, the tumour would shrink and disappear eventually. MRI on pituitary adenoma shows no surgery needed. However I have to be extra careful if my vision deteriorates.

I didn't pass these tests with flying colours but I've worked hard. I was given 60% to 70% survival chance. My suffering almost took my life. I can't ask for more.

0 notes by reader:

Post a Comment