I couldn't sleep well. Perhaps I was nervous about the run. At 3.30am, I heard a group of people talking downstairs. They must be the marathon runners. I woke up at about 4am, so did Chris. Chris wanted to do her run early so she wouldn't bump into the elite runners.
I left the house at about 5.15am. I took a while to get a cab. Many cab drivers ignored me. There was traffic jam around Bukit Purmei. I asked to be alighted at the bus stop at Vivo city. I didn't expect it was quite a distance from the bag deposit area. I rushed my way there. I met Ronnie, Nat and Reuben. I asked them not to wait for me. It was a snake-long queue. I was surprised by the queue as it was 10 minutes away from the flag off.
Standing besides me was a lady.
"The race is going to start in 10 minutes and we're still here"
The lady replied, "It's always like that. Is this your first half marathon?"
"This is my second half marathon."
"Not to worry. You'll get used to it."
I nodded and smiled.
She went on, "So will you go for marathon in the future?"
I hesitated and didn't know how to answer, "Ah, hmm...I actually took part in various distances."
"Oh, like?"
"I did a couple of marathons and ah...ultramarathon"
She gave me the stunned look, "This must be warm up for you"
I blushed. I replied, "This is as good as my first race."
My hp rang. It was David. He said he was running 21km too. I couldn't see him so I made my way to the start line and started running. The first 20 minutes was hard to run. We could hardly move in the narrow pathway towards Tanjong beach. The runners were held up for at least 15 minutes. On the U-turn, I heard someone called me. It was David. Both of us ran together. David said we should take photo with the Transformer. It was my first time in the Universal Studio. We took photos and helped others to take too :)
We maintained a good pace. On the Sheares bridge, we met Nat and Reuben. Nat was unwell so she had to walk. We saw Ronnie too. He asked us to carry on. David's knee started to give way when we were off Nicoll Highway. We slowed down a little bit. Soon, I ran towards the finishing line. I completed the run!
Julin, Joey and Daryl came to receive me at the finishing line. I'm thankful for have these good friends. They've been with me al these while. We went breakfast to celebrate at Marina Square.
I received more than I asked for. I stood and cheer friends a year ago, I was ill. A year later, I completed 21km with a big smile :)
Thank you, my family, God and those who believe in me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







0 notes by reader:
Post a Comment