Rescue

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

On 21 January 2011, I went to see Dr Syafiq. I didn't feel good while waiting for my turn. It was quite a long wait. 

I told Dr Syafiq I felt horrible. Dr Syafiq assured me that things would be better in weeks to come. He said that I would need to go for 3 more cycles of chemotherapy but he asked me not to worry about it yet, just focus on the recovery. He told Mama that in fact I did quite well. I completed the intensive treatment without break. I only lost 15% of my weight compared to the average 20%. He also assured her that I would be alright. He said to me, "Jacky, science is not magic. You have to go through this." His words didn't help but I knew there was no miracle. No miracle for me. 

He offered me to admit into the hospital. He said that if I felt fine the next day, I could go home. I looked at Mama and Sis Joyce. I agreed. They arranged my admission. Papa & Mama and Sis Joyce went to the ward with me. Dr Alfredo, in-patient ward doctor came to see me. He told me the medication he would give me and I would be put on drip for 24 hours. Anyway, I was on drip for 2.5 days. 

That night I managed to have a good sleep. I slept through the night. The next morning Dr Syafiq and Dr Alfredo came to see me. I told Dr Syafiq I would continue to stay in the hospital till I felt better. I had 4 times of mouth wash, Nilstatin, Morphine and antibiotic daily. The nurse would clean my neck wound 3 times a day. The wound on my neck healed well. 

My ulcers and inflammation on the gum didn't heal as fast. Dr Alfredo said it would take about 3 to 5 days to heal. Well, apparently mine isn't just an ulcer. It takes much much longer than 5 days. The thrush were gone. Dr Syafiq asked me to gargle with warm water and baking soda plus salt. It helped to remove the thrush. Dr Alfredo said my healing wouldn't be as fast because nothing was done before I was admitted into the hospital. My mucusitis and fungus infection were very severe compared to other NPC post RT patients. 

Dr Nay and Dr Babu dropped by to see me as well. Dr Nay updated Dr Babu on my condition. He commented that I lost a lot of weight. The humorous part was Dr Babu said Dr Nay with a sigh of empathy, "She's so young." Dr Nay looked at him and said, "Ah, yes. She's about my age" I don't know Dr Nay implied he's also young or actually she's not that young. 

Papa & Mama brought me home on Thursday. 

0 notes by reader:

Post a Comment