I had a question. How safe is blood supply from voluntary blood donation? I raised this doubt because just before I was diagnosed with cancer. I wanted to go for blood donation. I was underweight so dropped the thought.
I was thinking if I wasn't underweight and donated blood (without knowing I already have cancer), what would be circumstances and who was responsible? I asked around and searched internet. I had my answer.
Blood donors are supposed to answer a series of questions pertaining to potential risks. The blood donated would be tested safe before going to blood bank. I have never donated blood but I hope this procedure is in order in Brunei and Singapore. I hope the lab has a spectrum of tests, not targeting solely on HIV but leukemia, Hodgkin's disease, Parkinson's disease, mutated cells and not ruling out any possibilities. Young, healthy lifestyle are not longer indicators of disease free. It could only mean lower risk. Cancer marker is not fullproof. I had very low cancer marker 4 to 5 years ago and I'm stage 3 cancer patient. Cancer didn't happen overnight. Mutation could have developed 2 to 3 years ago. I pray that the procedure in ensuring the blood supply is safe is not independent system but a comprehensive one.
Call me cynical. I often wonder in the case of emergency when your blood is needed to save a life, how thorough is the check on donor? What if the donor has cancer and not knowing it, can we say it's fate? NO! this should not happen.
Is it just me or this is a valid doubt?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





0 notes by reader:
Post a Comment