Lance Armstrong's spirit

Saturday, October 23, 2010

I flipped through Lance Armstrong's book a year ago. I was meant to borrow from the library but was lazy. 

I received it as my birthday gift. I'm halfway through. He was in the same boat as me but of course his condition was much worse than mine. Lance Armstrong is still alive today not because of his medical team but his willpower wanting to live. Of course, his mother's love and supports. 

"Son, I just want you to know that when you go for your treatment, it's not going to be a pleasant sight. But I want you to keep one thing in mind. They're all there for the same reason you are: to get well." 

Lance Armstrong's experience was similar to mine. He never stayed overnight at the hospital. He was admitted and doctor broke the news. Lance Armstrong was much stronger than me. He said, "I'm going to beat this thing, whatever it is" when he was wheeled to his hospital bed. 

"The physical pain of cancer didn't bother me so much because I was used to it. I've began to see cancer as a race to me. Only the destination had changed. They shared grueling physical aspects, as well as a dependence on time, and progress reports every interval, with checkpoints and a slavish reliance on numbers and blood tests. The only difference was that I had to focus better and harder than I ever did on the bike. I couldn't afford impatience or a lapse in concentration. I had to think about living, just making it through, every single moment. Winning my life back would be the biggest victory."

I was lapsed in my concentration many times. I allowed worries and disappointments to distract me. I don't know how long will I live on after my treatment, 5 years, 10 years or 15 years but I know I owe those who love me this big race. I need to fight this big race and give it all...it doesn't matter how long is the validity.


1 notes by reader:

Anonymous said...

tat's the spirit man .. !! .. :)

Run Jacq! Run .. !! .. :)


~jacky~

Post a Comment