Pacing

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Pacing isn't an easy thing to do. I was one of KK Chin's pacers. KK Chin started his 218km from 8.30am. I was his checkpoint 38 to 48 pacer. Targetted timing was 7 hours from 1am on Sunday morning.

Before the pacing, I hope he would go slow so it would be easier for me to pace. Well, I learnt something new. It wasn't easy to pace and push the runner. We had to follow his pace as well as push him to jog. KK injured his ITB. It was even tougher task for him to complete 218km.

Thanks Ben! Ben waited with me for an hour at checkpoint 38. KK was an hour late. Finally, I saw them. The pacers were Robson, Roger, Alan and myself. KK was in pain so we walked with him. It was a long, long walk. I hardly perspired.

Robson sang songs to push KK to run. He tried all sort of stuff for KK to resume his run. He sang, talked, held his back and pushed him to jog. Robson is an amazing person. I chatted with him a lot when KK had his break. I also learnt a lot from this humble IRONMAN.

KK finally decided to run at Simei area for about 15 minutes and stopped again. Alan and I decided to be the 'bad guys'. We went ahead and slow jogged whenever KK came near. KK had to jog a little bit. When we reached Pasir Ris, all of us were zombies. KK had his legs taped and we continued.

The coastal stretch was hot and KK couldn't jog anymore. We could only walk with him. It was 8am to 9am. The sun was hot. I started to get a bit agitated. Thankfully, ITT distracted me. Robson asked me to end the pacing at NSRCC. I spilt from the group and ran back. It was 11am plus when I reached home. Tired. Sleepy.

I updated my safety and took a nap before running with Antz tonight.

Walk/Jog: 10 hours

0 notes by reader:

Post a Comment